Kerem Htaeimanim is a neighborhood located in central Tel Aviv, between Allenby, Redemption, Occupiers and Carmel streets. In the first houses built north of the city of Jaffa in the late 19th century, Jews who arrived from Yemen at Aliyah in the immigration of 1881-1882. The neighborhood is one of eleven separate residential neighborhoods built before “Ahuzat Beit-Tel Aviv” between 1903 and 1909. On May 11, 1923, the neighborhood actually joined with other Jewish neighborhoods in the city of Tel Aviv, when the order for the separation of Tel Aviv neighborhoods from Jaffa was passed by the Mandate authorities two years earlier on May 11, 1921.
The neighborhood was established in 1906 (before the founding of Tel Aviv), on the land of Aaron three, Yosef Beck Moyal and Haim Amzalag. The land was sold under attractive conditions to buyers. Most of the purchases were from the Yemenite community who came from Jerusalem. It was initially intended to name a neighborhood named after attorney David Moyal, the son of Joseph Beck Moyal, but since the establishment of the neighborhood continued for many years, it was subsequently proposed to be called “Camp Israel,” but that name was not accepted until 1929. The name is the Yemenite Vineyard(Kerem Hateimanim). According to the story, the initial version was “the Yemenite Vineyard” and originates from the Yemenite guard who retained the vineyard of Joseph Beck Moyal.
Among the residents of the neighborhood were smart students such as Rabbi Yechia Nahum, who was the rabbi of the neighborhood, Rabbi Avraham Allendaf, and Rabbi Shalom Yitzhak Halevi.
The neighborhood was characterized by low construction, inner courtyards, adjoining houses, and narrow alleys. Due to the drawback that characterized the residents of the neighborhood, even in the early 20th century, Batia was made of wood, tin and other cheap materials.
Until the War of Independence, the neighborhood stretched between Geula streets in the north and Rabbi Meir in the south. From the south of Rabbi Meir Street to Daniel Street (in its eastern section between the Occupiers Street and Carmel Street), the Pachim neighborhood was inhabited, which was mostly populated by Jews, but municipally belonged to Jaffa, and the lots were Arab-owned.
Today we can see the place become a travel spot for all tourists arriving Tell Aviv in recent years.
Moshe Delaroza owner & CEO of Delacasa Real Estate